Transform your passion for fashion into practical career skills
This three-semester Ontario Graduate Certificate program will build on your existing fashion design skills and prepare you to enter the world of costume development and creation for theatre. You'll learn both the technical and creative aspects of creating costumes for theatre through theory, hands-on development, and a practical work placement. You'll learn about theatre history, wardrobe planning and how to analyze the script to bring the playwright's world to life.
You'll have the unique opportunity to work with industry professionals within actual theatre wardrobe settings. You'll work with world-renowned artists at The Stratford Festival, The Shaw Festival, the Banff Centre of the Arts, The Grand Theatre London, The London Regional Art Museum, the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees (IATSE) and National Association of Broadcast Employees and Technicians (NABET).
When you graduate, you'll know how to craft everything from petticoats to jackets, breathing life into the characters on stage through your creations.
The graduate has reliably demonstrated the ability to:
- Develop and create costumes that express character, through the application of knowledge of the history of theatre and costume.
- Plan the development, creation, and maintenance of all aspects of costuming with respect to the organizational, logistical and financial factors involved in the wardrobe.
- Analyze scripts in order to make costume development, creation, and maintenance decisions.
- Communicate costume development concepts to a varied audience using a variety of visual media, including life drawing, illustration and/or wardrobe development.
- Create a technical translation of a costume illustration, using pattern making, draping, fitting and tailoring techniques that fulfill the director/designer's vision.
- Construct costumes and costume accessories that meet the specialized needs of various productions.
- Prepare, modify, decorate, and care for fabrics and costumes, based on a thorough knowledge of textile characteristics.
- Fulfill the responsibilities of a production team member in the complex world of live entertainment by applying excellent communication, interpersonal, critical thinking, problem-solving, and time/ project management skills.
Take all of the following Mandatory Courses:
- DESG-1056 Period Cutting 1
- DESG-1057 Tailoring 1
- FASH-1018 Costume Construction 1
- DESG-1058 Costume Design
- FASH-1050 Dyeing
- DESG-1059 Script Analysis
- FASH-1040 Costume Accessories 1
- THEA-1009 Wardrobe Management
Take all of the following Mandatory Courses:
- DESG-3031 Period Cutting 2
- DESG-3032 Tailoring 2
- FASH-3014 Costume Construction 2
- HIST-1047 Period Recognition
- DESG-3043 Wardrobe Practicum
- FASH-3025 Costume Accessories 2
- SFTY-1056 General Health & Safety Field Placement
- FASH-1051 Costume Maintenance
Take the following Mandatory Course:
- FLDP-5016 Practical Field Placement
Students must complete a minimum of 12 credits in this program at Fanshawe College to meet the program residency requirement and graduate from this program.
- An Ontario College Advanced Diploma in Fashion Design with a minimum 'B' average or 3.0 GPA
- An Ontario College Diploma in a Theatre Production related program with a minimum 'B' average or 3.0 GPA and completion of a Portfolio and Sewing Test*
- An equivalent qualification from another institution with a minimum “B” average or 3.0 GPA as judged by the College and completion of a Portfolio and Sewing Test*
- A combination of relevant education and work experience in a related field as judged by the College to be equivalent to the above and completion of a Portfolio and Sewing Test*
English Language Requirements
Applicants whose first language is not English will be required to demonstrate proficiency in English by one of the following methods:
- A Grade 12 College Stream or University Stream English credit from an Ontario Secondary School, or equivalent, depending on the program's Admission Requirements
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) test with a minimum score of 88 for the Internet-based test (iBT), with test results within the last two years
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic test with an overall score of 6.5 with no score less than 6.0 in any of the four bands, with test results within the last two years
- Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL) test with an overall score of 70 with no score less than 60 in any of the four bands, with test results within the last two years
- Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE) with a minimum score of 59, with test results within the last two years
- A Cambridge English Test (FCE/CAE/CPE) with an overall score on the Cambridge English Scale of 176 with no language skill less than 169, with test results within the last two years
- An English Language Evaluation (ELE) at Fanshawe College with a minimum score of 75% in all sections of the test, with test results within the last two years
- Fanshawe College ESL4/GAP5 students: Minimum grade of 80% in ESL4/GAP5 Level 9 or 75% in ESL4/GAP5 Level 10
Applicant Selection Criteria
Where the number of eligible applicants exceeds the available spaces in the program, the Applicant Selection Criteria will be:
- Preference for Permanent Residents of Ontario
- Receipt of Application by February 1st (After this date, Fanshawe College will consider applicants on a first-come, first-served basis until the program is full)
- Achievement in the Admission Requirements
- *Assessment of Applicant's skill set relevant to the program based on Portfolio and Sewing Test
Graduates will gain the experience necessary for employment in a wardrobe environment as sewers, dyers, accessories, boots/shoes, milliners, dressers or wardrobe management. As well, graduates could also become costume technicians in the film industry.
Про навчальний заклад
Fanshawe College is a large, publicly-funded College located in London, Ontario, Canada – approximately a two-hour drive from Toronto and Niagara Falls. There are 21,000 full-time students, including ... Детальніше